Wednesday , August 5 2020
elen
Home / Villages (page 4)

Villages

The beautiful Samos villages

Kontakeika

Kontakeika or more correctly Kotakeika is located a few kilometers from Karlovassi o­n a beautiful hill 150 meters from the sea. According to legend, in 1750, a man named Georgios Kotis came from the island Kos and purchased land in this area for cultivation. His sons later married women from …

Read More »

Drakei

Drakaioi (Drakei) is located in the westernmost tip of Samos, north of Kallithea and southwest of Karlovassi. It is built on a secluded part of the mountain Kerkis and not associated by roadway with Karlovassi. The area is rocky, craggy and barren, but quite lush. It has very nice view …

Read More »

Kosmadei

Kosmadei (Kosmadaioi) is located in the northwestern part of Samos and northwest of Kastania, 12 km away from Karlovassi. The village is built on the slopes of mount Kerkis and has a spectacular view to the sea. It took its name from the first inhabitant that descended from Kastania and …

Read More »

Konteika

Konteika is located in the northwestern part of Samos, 7 km southwest of Karlovassi. It is built on the northwest side of mount Karvounis, surrounded by hills of pine trees and cypress trees. The area is green and of extraordinary natural beauty. The village took its name from the resident …

Read More »

Kastania

South of village Lekka and in a distance of 4 kilometers, perched on the slopes of mountain Fteria, meaning the foothills of Mount Kerkis, within dense and lush vegetation is the village of Kastania. The first inhabitants of this village, in accordance to the local tradition, were from Epirus. It …

Read More »

Samos town (Vathi)

The town known today as Samos (its previous name was Port of Vathi) has been built during recent decades. In the past there were no houses in the area; o­nly a few merchant warehouses. Settlers however, from Pano Vathi and other places (mainly from Kefalonia), moved into this uninhabited area, …

Read More »

Agios Konstantinos

Agios Konstantinos consists of two villages, o­ne o­n the coast and the other o­n the mountain. It got its name from the church “Agios Konstantinos” which was built in 1890. This village is o­ne of the so called “Six Neighbourhoods”, which constituted o­ne of the most beautiful locations o­n Samos. …

Read More »

Ano Vathi

The pirate raids which continued to ravage the islands during the 17th and 18th centuries, forced the islanders to build their houses away from the coasts. Thus the first residents of Vathi, Samos, who according to legend came from Peloponnesus, built their houses in the valley between the hills Koutsomilos …

Read More »

Paleokastro

Paleokastro is located o­n the southeast part of the island and got its name from the ruins of a “cyclopic” wall. In the place of present day Paleokastro, during ancient times there was a village with constructions from the Greek and Byzantine Ages.  In o­ne of the churches “Agios Georgios”, …

Read More »

Kokkari

Kokkari, 10 km. west of the city of Samos and with a population of 894 inhabitants, is one of the most beautiful fishing villages on the island, with a very developed tourist infrastructure. In various old documents Kokkari is listed as Krokari. Its name came from the onions that were …

Read More »