The opening ceremony of the Samos Airport was held on June 23, 1963. At first only Douglas DC-3 (“Dakota”) commercial airplanes were used to transport passengers, three times a week (ticket cost was 380 drachmas!):
1948: A decision was made to find a suitable location and built the airport.
1954: During Papagos government, technicians visited Samos in order to examine the ground, the wind direction, and to design the runway.
1959: Winter storms destroyed the initial works. Prime-Minister K. Karamanlis orders the revision of the project. As a result construction of the airport was made with modern, for the time, planning and building processes.
1960-1962: Construction of the airport.
1968: A decision was made to extend the runway.
1971: Runway’s expansion and widening completed.
1976: First charter flight was landed (May 4, 1976).
2001-2003: New terminal constructed.