The Monastery of Panagias Vrontianis (or Kokkarianis), is located at an altitude of 458 meters, in the middle of the northern side of the island, near the village Vourliotes.
It was rebuilt in 1566 on the ruins of an older Monastery dedicated to the Birth of the Virgin Mary, by the monks (and brothers) Iakovos and Makarios.
The name “Vrontiani” derives either by the name “Vronta” (the surname of a wealthy family, which gave its name to the region between Kokkari and Vathi), or because during the rains falling when the Monastery celebrates, on September 8, the thunders echoing very loudly on the mountain peaks south of the Monastery. The Catholic of the Monastery follows the architectural type of the domed aisled basilica while the rest of the complex, around the Catholic, is square with two or three storey cells, vaulted arches, and verandas facing the courtyard. In the entrance’s passageway is situated a simple belfry (made in 1812), decorated with stone reliefs. The wooden gilded iconostasis of the Catholic is decorated with scenes taken from the Holy Bible, while the portable icons are artworks made by artists of the 18th and the 19th century, namely Abbot James (1777), Polydoros from Smyrna (1883) etc.
The episcopal throne is also carved and gilded (made in 1703). From the original and magnificent frescoes, only few fragments are preserved, in the Sanctuary and in two arches of the dome. It is worth noting the existence of a chapel (of Byzantine style) dedicated to the Transfiguration of the Savior (Metamorphosis of Sotiras in Greek), located in the southeast wing of the first floor of the perimeter building.
Phone Number: 2273093255