The Monastery of Agios Ioannis Theologos of Palaio Karlovasi is located in a beautiful location, close to Palaio Karlovassi.
It was established in 1823. The Church inside the monastery is small, but devout and prim. The old icon of Jesus Christ, kept in the Church, is of great cultural value, since it is dated back to the 18th century. The iconostasis depicts a wailing Blessed Virgin Mary embracing the Crucified Lord! (Instead of Jesus Christ as a child, a standard depiction in Greek Orthodox tradition). A hatch, in the Sanctuary, leads to five steps and then to Holy Water.
The Monastery was restored in 1823 by captain Manuel Angelinas, one of the Samians chieftains who fought during the 1821 Greek War of Independent. He was born and raised in Palaio Karlovassi. Cells cover the southern, the western, and the northern sides of the Monastery complex. The Monastery itself was once demolished by a landslide, but it was rebuilt. It is nunnery, but, presently, only one nun lives there, while in the past it used to house up to 30 nuns. Phone Number: 2273032219